Guest post - Johanna of 101 Things I Love





Chicago, I love you…



Hi! My name is Johanna of 101 things i love. I was thrilled and honored when Meagan asked me to guest post during her move. {we’re sad to see her go!} I’ve been a long time fan of Mo Pie, Please and wanted to send her off with some warm fuzzies illustrating what makes her old home so great in hopes that she’ll visit often! 

I’ve been a Chicagoan all my life. Born in the ‘burbs, graduating to a full time fan for over a decade. And no matter where my travels take me, and I’ve seen many-a-cool city, I always return home appreciating the awesome city I live in that much more! Here are a few reasons why…

  • Architecture: Skyscrapers, gargoyles, pillars and bridges. This city is a photographer’s dream to shoot with so many styles represented on every block. My favorite shot was taken on my birthday last year outside the new Modern Wing @ the Art Institute. Peruse the art and stay for a glass of wine. It’s the perfect, outdoor spot to take in the scenery not to mention our awesome skyline.
  • Culinary Scene: If there is one thing I live for – it’s trying out new restaurants and cuisines. Two of my favorite Chicago eateries are part of this collage. Mon Ami Gabi and Tank Sushi. If you’re a fan of French food and the bistro scene, than Mon Ami Gabi is a must. The atmosphere is  unique in that the cold weather lends to an authentic bistro style bar and cozy booth area and the warm weather {my favorite!} lends to a great outdoor area complete with twinkling lights and a great wine selection. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Tank Sushi is one of the more creative sushi venues out there, in my opinion. Three pages of some of the most unique rolls and the freshest nigri you could ask for. It’s also situated in my favorite neighborhood…Lincoln Square which we’ll get to next!
  • Neighborhoods: Lincoln Square has become a fast favorite for me. Its quaint boutiques and antique shops sandwiched between an amazing German beer hall make it not only a great date spot but a great neighborhood for the stroller crowd. They even have their own May and Oktober fests!
  • Retail Therapy: If I could have my way, I would make money shopping for a living. And there’s no better area to get my retail on then in Bucktown; particularly the shops on Damen. From Marc Jacobs to Akira to BCBG, the hours fly by and leave my credit cards worse for the wear.
  • Music Scene: Undoubtedly, Chicago’s music scene is one of the most unique and diverse. You can hear Ray LaMontagne in a park staring up at skyscrapers or be amongst just a few 100 other music lovers in a small venue like the Aragon Ballroom or The Vic {my personal favorite} and hear the likes of Wilco to Spoon. No matter what your musical influence, you’ll also appreciate and grow to love Chicago’s blues scene including the legendary Kingston Mines.

There you have it – my favorite Chicago nuggets. And to Meagan: thank you for having me. Chicago and I will miss you but we wish you all the best on your new journey. I know we’ll all be following you as you turn the page and start a new chapter in your book. Cheers!

6 comments:

m_b July 14, 2011 at 8:07 AM  

with all of these awesome chicago posts - i'm thinking i need to make a trip out to the windy city! :)
glad to have discovered a new blog too!

katie walker July 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

these guest posts are making me want to road trip sooo badly!! looks like such a nice city!

Unknown July 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM  

Chicago is SO not far from Jersey - yet i never been - i got a LOT of places to check off on my map!

k July 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM  

aww this post made me so happy, i love chicago! i grew up near there :)

A Crimson Kiss July 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

You guys are killing me with all these amazing Chicago features-I feel like I need a flight to O'Hare yesterday!

Yelena Starikova July 23, 2011 at 1:58 AM  

Really would like to visit this city someday!

Im your new follower!

AllGlamThings

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails