Plants and, well, confusion


So I have one of these (or something very similar) that I purchased from Sprout Home a year or so ago.  It's doing quite well and it looks pretty hip in its pretty purple pot.  Every time I look at it I feel a sense of calm take over me.  Does that happen to you? (am I crazy?)


This guy, a String of Pearls, is my absolute favorite plant.  I have a teeny tiny version of this now, after the litle rugrat pictured in the post below decided to destroy the giant one.  I cried.  Seriously, am I crazy? I took what remained from the destruction and potted the strings in a wee little pot and now they're sprouting and looking healthy and I feel so successful!  Aren't they neat and weird plants?!


This picture just makes me happy.  If I could have every succulent in this picture in my apartment, I would.  Kitteh doesn't really eat them, surprisingly.  And they're supposed to be good to have around.  So Badger, can you get these all for me, please? Oh and make something for me to put them all on/in?  Thanks. (P.S. it's only $36)

OK so the reason why I'm posting about my love for succulents is because of this.  I know that I am not cut out to have an office job.  I need a job that allows me to feel good about my work and enjoy, I mean thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing.  I enjoy plants.  But the only experience I have with them is that of my own.  And I've lost many a plant.  But I've also brought many a plant back to life.  So what options does this leave me with? Because I'm perplexed.  I don't know what to do with my life so I look to the little things that bring me joy for guidance and inspiration... 

By the way, thanks to everyone who left such encouraging words for me the other day.  I'm sure that it won't be the end of my bridal freak outs but I'm happy to know that I have such a great community to turn to for support! You guys are the best!

4 comments:

A Crimson Kiss July 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

The other day, while folding t-shirts, I thought, "This is not what I got that Masters degree for". I'm right there with you...

What about working for a greenhouse, or a florist? You don't necessarily have to cultivate the plants, but you could be the environment all time time.

Anonymous,  July 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

I have a friend who was a florist, then took a break, and now wants to go back to being one - she got her degree in graphic design. She's had countless jobs, and now thinks that being a florist (a job she considered as a segue, nothing serious) is her true calling. I say do it! Grab a whole bunch of books from the library and learn!

hip hip gin gin July 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Absolutely go for it!! I say phone up a few florists or greenhouse owners and see if they are willing to talk to you about how they got there. If you know of any bloggers who work in the plant world shoot them an email. Most people are flattered and willing to help out, and there is no better place to get your questions answered.
Good luck!!

Oh, My Darling July 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

I just found your blog and I'm loving it! I'm glad to newly follow. This post is especially dear to me, as I recently bought my own little succulent and love it so much.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails