Superfood!

Tonight I felt the need to treat myself to something good and healthy. I had a fridge full of broccoli, so I searched my favourite recipe website for some ideas, and came up with my own variation on 101cookbook's Double Broccoli Quinoa


Here's my take on this recipe:

1 cup lentils
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup basmati rice

2 large heads of broccoli
Handful of toasted nuts, diced
2 medium cloves of garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Heap tablespoon of Greek yogurt
Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

Salt, black pepper and fresh basil to taste.

Cook the grains together in a rice cooker with the stock of your choice. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli florets - steam or boil, and remove from boiling water when still firm. Run cooked broccoli under cold water to retain color. Set aside.

Broccoli pesto: Combine 2 cups of the cooked broccoli with the garlic, lime juice, yogurt, olive oil, and blend until it forms a paste. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Mix the warm grains with the pesto - adjust the grain to pesto ratio as you see fit (you might well have some of the grains left over for another recipe). Toss in the toasted nuts, and the remaining broccoli florets (I like to add the crunchy stalks too). Sprinkle with freshly cut basil. Nom. Nom. Nom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails