Art History Lesson!

I wanted to share some images from one of my favorite Art Nouveau/Symbolism artists. So here are some fun facts about Aubrey Beardsley.......


He was born August 21, 1872 in Brighton England.

At the age of 12, he appeared as an "infant musical phenomenon," playing at several London concerts with his older sister, Mabel.


His first published drawings appeared in his school's newspaper.


At the age of 20, he began his formal art education.


He was a leading figure in the Aesthetic movement which also included Oscar Wilde.


He said, "I have one aim-- the grotesque. If I am not grotesque I am nothing."


He died of Tuberculosis at the age of 25.




I highly recommend doing some googling of your own. You'll find all kinds of images and sources of information about his life. I myself am going to see if I can find a tattoo artist who specializes in this style......

4 comments:

hip hip gin gin September 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

I am completely in love with that second image! Completely. Gorgeous.

ray gun September 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

pretty amazing right? who knew solid black ink could create that kind of movement....

ray gun September 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

MaybeThisDoor October 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

I was lucky enough to find an old book from the 60's on A Beardsley in an old used book store some years ago. I always find his images inspiring to my creative endeavours.

travelbunny.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails