Sick kitty


Remember this guy?  Well this guy, Gus, has been sick the past few days and it's breaking my heart.  So I want to know if any of you know a thing or two about sick cats and have any advice for me.  

We took him with us to Louisville for Christmas and he spent 6 days exploring new territory.  In that time, he had brief interactions with an over-excited pug, an adorable French Bulldog puppy and a dapper dachshund who was getting over a cough (his interaction with him was very brief).  

We gave him a sedative for the car ride home and at first just thought he was having more trouble shaking off the drugs than we thought.  But we got back on Wednesday evening and he didn't show signs of sickness until Thursday night.  His nose is dry, his fur is matted and he is weak.  We've been forcing him to drink milk water, have been giving him tuna since he won't eat his dry food and all the TLC a cat could dream of.  

I know you'll probably say, take him to the vet at once!  But he was just at the vet, he hates the vet, I hate the vet and it's freaking cold outside.  He really does look better today which is a good sign.  I just wonder, can cats get the flu?  He doesn't show signs of an infection of any sorts.  He's just...off.  

I just want to see him like this again ::



***Update, Gus is in the kitty hospital.  He was mean to me, the vet and the vet's assistant.  So they had to keep him again.  They don't know what's wrong with him - the vet didn't give me any answers.  But I do know that I have never heard a cat make the kinds of noises that he made while the vet attempted to take his temperature (although in his defense, it must really suck to have something cold and metal coming at your butthole with rapid speed).  Over the next few days, he'll have x-rays and urine samples and catheters to deal with and I'll admit, I cried when I came home.  But seeing him step up onto a box today instead of jumping was the straw that broke the camels back.  Send healthy vibes his way, won't you?

9 comments:

Noodles and Waffles January 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

I know how traumatic and costly going to the vet can be but I think this would be the right move.

He may have picked up worms or something from all the other creatures he encountered. Or maybe he ate something he shouldn't have.

Bottom line - You'll feel better knowing.

hip hip gin gin January 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM  

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that! I don't know anything about sick kitties but I am sending you both a big hug and hoping Gus feels better soon.
I hate to say it in light of what you just said about the vet, but I would go. And trust me I've been to the vet with a sick dog only to be told that they aren't sure what it is and to wait and see countless times and it can be frustrating. But I still feel better knowing that I went and did all I could do.

Anonymous,  January 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM  

My cats hate the vet too, who likes going to the doctor's? But Nicole is right, this time it's necessary. A few months ago I took sabino to a two day treatment at the vet clinic, where he made everyone go crazy and I spent 300 € just to hear "he's fine". Take him to the vet, you'll both feel better!

Amber January 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM  

i dont have cats but if it was my pup i would take him to the vet, its best to safe than sorry. i hope he feels better soon

Unknown January 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

I know that dogs can get the flu or similar...we had a cat once who had some sort of bug and sat still for 24hrs with a dull expression and after that went back to normal.
All the best for Gus - and a Happy 2011!

Neo January 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM  

Milk is not good.... stick to water, Gus is probably a bit run down by the trip and just needs time to re-adjust to his old territory (I found cats don't travel well, most of the time)
Neo

Michelle {lovely little things} January 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

So sorry, my cat was sick a few days ago and it's terrible, because they can't communicate with you. Best wishes for your kitty. Thinking good thoughts!

Noodles and Waffles January 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

Hope we hear good news soon.

Get better Gus!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails