Friendship Jewelry

I've seen a few posts here and there about friendship bracelets - something I had nearly forgotten about in all the years since I actually wore one.  My curiosity was piqued; nostalgia was calling my name.  So after ReadyMade suggested to me on Facebook to make a friendship bracelet, I said what they hay and went for it.  After a few fights with my cat, I was underway.  Seriously, if you have a cat, he will pounce on you over and over again while you've got that embroidery floss in your hands.  Trust me.

Anyway...it was as easy as I remembered and in no time at all, I had made myself a cute friendship necklace.  I'm still in the process of creating more at different lengths like they suggest.  I've also added some washers to the mix since we have a ton to spare.  I'm hoping for an end result of multiple necklaces at various lengths in an assortment of colors, like the last image.  We shall see...

Here are the word-for-word instructions taken from honestly...wtf, originally seen here.


To make a 2-tone necklace, cut a long piece of rope and wrap two different colors of embroidery thread around its own bobbin. Tie a starter knot along with the two colored threads you are using, leaving at least 3 inches of slack, Tape down the slack to a flat surface or safety pin it something that will help keep it in place (feeling nostalgic yet?). Lay the color that isn’t being used (shown here in purple) in your left hand, along with the rope, and hold them taut. Take the active color (shown here in red) in your right hand, pass it over the rope, loop it under and back through the opening. Pull up and to the right to tighten. Repeat the knots until you are ready to switch colors




To alternate colors, simply put the inactive color (red) in your left hand and the new active color (purple) in your right. Repeat the steps.


Once you’re done knotting, add a few nuts and/or washers to the necklace. Undo the large starter knot and tie both open ends together, creating your very own friendship necklace! Trim any extra rope and tread. Continue making necklaces at different lengths, using any color combination…in our opinion, the more the better! Easy enough, right??






* All images and text from Honestly...WTF.

19 comments:

magpie April 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM  

love this idea! every summer i would come home from camp with one in my hair. but by nature, you gotta give them to your friends! a great idea for a night in with the girls! bottle of wine, some small nosh plates and some thread. (no kitties allowed)

Anonymous,  April 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

cool! i like it

m_b April 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

i love those honestly...wtf ideas! there was another great bracelet i need to try too with the braid around the chain, did you see that one?

Jenny N April 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

adorable! I used to make those bracelets all the time. Thought I was so cool that i knew how to do it.

A Crimson Kiss April 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

I'd completely forgotten about these-how amazing! I love Maggie's suggestion about doing these with your girlfriends-a bottle of wine would make that middle school activity positively divine!

Mandy Crandell April 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

Pretty! I've never seen this style.

Anonymous,  April 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

those are seriously really cool. make me one, k? :D

xo

Brandi April 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

How pretty! I like these a lot and they look pretty easy to make too. One of these would be a great way to add some color to an outfit.

Jaime @ laviejaime April 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM  

i am SO impressed! i love the multiple colors and adding washers looks great.

Sophie April 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM  

WOW these look amazing. i havent made one of these friendship bracelets for ages but i used to love them. they would be perfect for spring and summer! x

April April 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM  

I want one so bad! Guess I'll just have to buy some string.

Isabel April 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM  

i used to love making friendship bracelets!

The Olive Tree Blog April 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM  

Oh my. I just flashed back to summer camp age ten...now all I need is a little Ace of Base in the background!

Kristin Yac April 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM  

So cute! I am really loving all of the friendship inspired jewelry out there, so colorful and fun! Honestly...wtf has some seriously amazing DIY ideas!
xxkristin

Molly @ Joie de Vivre April 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

What a fantastic idea! Adorable. :)

Kimia Kline April 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM  

oh i love these! i used to make them in elementary school.

Oh, My Darling April 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM  

Oh, I need to make a bunch of these! Wondering if there's a way to put clasps on them.

Anonymous,  April 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

I booked marked their tutorial last year, I need to hop on that. ; )

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails