Beauty School


I've seen a lot of bloggers share their beauty regime with everyone, which made me want to follow suit.  While I may not post pictures of myself or show off my sense of style (which I'd say is pretty good, but I'm not one for pictures, sorry!) or feel worthy of schooling you in beauty products, I will say that I've spent years trying to find the perfect regime.  I've tried tons of foundations, tons of eyebrow products, etc., and it's had its ups and downs.  But I think that now, I've got it down.  I'm wearing less makeup than before, am embracing the "natural" look and have a few go-to products for getting a little dolled up (like last night, for date night - dinner at Lokal and bar trivia down the street, which was really fun).  So here's my list ::

1. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - I got this complimentary with my gazillion dollar purchase at Macy's awhile back (thank goodness for gift cards, eh?).  I love using a primer because I have crazy bad skin, so every little bit helps.  It's a toss between this primer and Smashbox's - they're both pretty good.

2. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20 - it might be a tad bit expensive, but for me it's been completely worth it.  I've been on a quest ever since my teenage years, to find the perfect foundation.  I have terrible skin - pink undertones that always looks a little irritated, oily skin that sometimes gets dry and flaky, terrible under-eye color, etc.  I've been cursed.  But this tinted moisturizer provides really good coverage that lasts throughout the day - something I can't say about other foundations I've used.  I never thought I'd be able to wear a tinted moisturizer, but lo and behold I was wrong!

3. Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder - this just happens to be what I'm using these days, thanks to Inna.  Luckily, the tinted moisturizer doesn't require me to use much powder.  Some days I skip it altogether!

4. Sephora Bronzer Powder with SPF 15 - can't get enough SPF out of your beauty products, especially if you're a fair-skinned lady like myself.  This bronzer gives me a touch of color in all the right places, especially when applied with a bronzer brush!

5. Benefit Cosmetics Brow Zings - I basically have no eyebrows, so this product has been a real life-saver.  I've been cursed with bad skin and transparent hair, so what little hairs my eyebrows have are really hard to see. Luckily I discovered the art of filling in your brows long ago.  The wax gives the brow definition and shape while the powder fills in the gaps.  Brilliant!

6. Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara - It works just as well as the expensive stuff, I tell you.  My eyelashes were already kind of long so I'm not sure how much of a difference it's made, but it definitely gives me what I want out of my masacara. Plus, it's cheap!

7. Benefit High Beam Luminizer - This product is perfect for highlighting the contours of my face.  I love it on my cheeks, eyebrows, inner-corners of my eyelids, etc.

8. Tarte Cheek Stain - I take turns with my blushes, but this stuff is pretty awesome.  It leaves a dewey finish, perfect for a nice day-time flush.  I use Blissful, which gives me a peachy glow.

9. NARS - The Multiple, Orgasm - this stuff is awesome.  It was a big hit at the wedding, too!  It goes all over your face, neck, anywhere, really.  It has a nice shimmer and the color is subtle.  I don't use it as often as the Tarte stain, though.

10. Benefit CORALista - such a lovely shade of pink, it's perfect for summer but it's also perfect for that "natural" look I'm after.  I also read a tip somewhere (I think it was Lauren Conrad maybe?) to swipe a sheer layer of blush on your jawline - it's funny, I thought that would look terrible on me but I did it and it gave me a nicer complexion than before.  Weird, right?!

11. Burts Bees Tinted Lip Balm - Hibiscus.  This is a new product that I'm completely smitten with.  The shade matches the CORALista blush pretty well and it goes on just like any other chapstick.  I keep it in my purse and wear it almost daily!

12.  Laura Mercier Lip Stain - Mulberry.  I wore this last night, paired with some white/golden eyeshadow.  Such a lovely, grown-up look!

So there you have it.  I left off some things, like the MAC red lipstick I love to wear from time to time, all of my eyeshadows, or the liquid eyeliner I bought at Walgreens that makes the occasional appearance.    But you get the gist, right?  So tell me, what are your favorite beauty products?

25 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket March 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

I love bronzer- :) I use it instead of blush.

Whim Wham Life March 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM  

So many fabulous products! Love your choices. My favorite all-time product is probably bronzer, (I've been using MAC for awhile). Tinted moisturizer is pretty amazing too. I love trying new products, total product junkie, but I love finding those ones you buy over and over again. xoxo

A Crimson Kiss March 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

I'm a sucker for tinted moisturized filled with SPF, and I think it's easier to wear on a day to day basis than real foundation. I'm also addicted to Stila convertible colors for a well-pigmented, creamy blush and L'Oreal naturale mascara for most days. I am absolutely going to have to try Laura Mercier's tinted now-mine is almost finished!

Christina @ Simple and Delish March 31, 2011 at 12:39 PM  

This is such a great like - so well through out

Mel March 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

So you really love the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer? I wear MAC's but I don't really love it. I may need to give this a try. Also, my new go-to mascara is Lancome Hypnose Drama. Thanks for sharing!

shellie March 31, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

i love nars....specifically their empress lipstick.....

Jaime @ laviejaime March 31, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

I use LM's tinted moisturizer in the summer and High Beam- love both these products!

Amber March 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

"pink undertones that always looks a little irritated, oily skin that sometimes gets dry and flaky" This sounds like my skin, seriously. I will have to try that tinted moisturizer out. Thanks for the tip!

Kirby Margaret March 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

you know, I'm not much of a make up person. I would like to be though! maybe I should make up something like this. maybe it would inspire me to be more of a 'lady'! ha

Johanna March 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

I love this post and seeing what works for other ladies. Beauty secrets galore! Yay!

Isabel March 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

i love these kinds of posts. they always make me want to head to sephora and spend an hour playing with products. lol

Sophie March 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM  

ahhh i literally need/want everything you have listed! x

this free bird March 31, 2011 at 6:08 PM  

thanks for the info on #8 - i've been wanting to try it for over a year and you may just have convinced me.

xo,
c

Megan @ Pink O'Clock March 31, 2011 at 7:50 PM  

LOVE this post! i'm always curious about what's in other people's makeup bags.

my dailies are:

1. bare minerals original foundation
2. nars blush in orgasm (although right now i'm using super orgasm, which has a little sparkle)
3. cover girl lash blast mascara (orange tube -- better than high end makeup brands, i've found!)
4. fekkai glossing shampoo and conditioner
5. moroccan oil

yay!

Stacey March 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

I'm going to have to try the Tarte stain. My makeup line is mostly MAC, but i love to experiment with other brands. I have items from Bobbi Brown and i also have the Nars Orgasm blush which i love. I use it all the time.

Brandi March 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

This post is fantastic! I need to attend beauty school -- even after all my time in theater, I still don't know what to do with my makeup most days. I really want lessons. From a profession. And I want to own a lipstick! That might just be my adventure for the weekend.

m_b April 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM  

huge fan of tarte! stays on all day! very nice products!

Jenny N April 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM  

I use the tart cheek stain too. love it.

Marie April 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

I like this post!:D

I use a lot of M·A·C and Benefit products.:D I like cheek stains too.

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} April 2, 2011 at 1:42 AM  

I envy the ones who have their beauty routine down... I didn't learn how to put on even the basics until I was twenty! I'm still in the trying-to-figure-things-out phase, and I can't wait until I've figured out all the bits that work best for me.

bestie April 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

love the burt's bees too! apply it hourly :)

bestie April 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

lisa, i am totally down with SKII too! just started the essence a few weeks ago...i'm obsessed..

megan, ditto on the moroccan oil.

Thelma Frayne April 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Love your list. I need to invest in some NARS...

Ashleigh April 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

We are kindred beauty sisters! Laura Mercier, Benefit & Nars - I have each one of these! I'm going through Highbeam these days like it's going out of style ;) And have you ever tried the brow dying service at Benefit - it's addictiing!!

milk tea + polkadots April 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM  

Ohh...I didn't realize you lived in Chicago too! I'm in Bucktown, and I've always wanted to try out Lokal. I didn't know it was a contemporary Polish restaurant. That's pretty neat. I'll have to try it out sometime!

I'm going to have to try the Burt's Bees Lip Balm. I used to use something similar by Lorac, but they don't make it anymore. I like how it's moisturizing just like chap stick, but it has a bit of color. Awesome!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails