Lorna Simpson










Lorna Simpson, considered to be a pioneer of conceptual photography, is well-known for her photography, videos and text works that confront and challenge narrow, conventional views of gender, identity, culture, history and memory.

On Saturday, April 2, she will grace the Museum of Contemporary Art here in Chicago with her presence, where she will discuss her process and most recent work.  She has been creating work that draws from archives of photographs from the 1950s, complicating the images by creating her own replicas and posing herself to mimic the originals.  

The drawings featured above fascinate me, as they were drawn from rough cut footage from a promotional film made by an institution for children with speech and learning disabilities in my own Wichita, KS in the late 1950s.  The women depicted are actresses in the role of mother or caregiver.  

For more, visit Lorna's website to discover an amazing collection of photographs, videos, drawings, exhibition images and more.  

14 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts March 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

I like Guarded Condition- that would be a very cool talk to go to- can't wait to hear about it.

jeanette from everton terrace March 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM  

Four years to get my BS in photography and I haven't heard of her. I don't know if this is the result of the instruction or the memory of the student. I'm glad to have been introduced to her here. Am going to go take a peek around about her now.

stephanie March 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Oh, lucky! I wish I lived closer to Chicago.

stephiejane March 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

amazing!! that will be quite the treat to attend...love her collections

Unknown March 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sylvia March 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sylvia March 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

what great and inspirational images, Meagan. Thank you for sharing.

I'm jealous that I won't be in Chicago for such a cool event. Looks pretty awesome. Thanks for making me homesick. haha ;)

xo
i wander, i wonder

Stacey March 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM  

I've been trying to visit you for awhile now-finally able to stop by:-). Thanks for introducing me to such an amazing artist! Awesome talent!

M. Eileen March 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM  

love lorna simpson... have a great time!

Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} March 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM  

These are really thought-provoking. I spent quite a bit of time looking through them!

Ashleigh March 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM  

oooh super cool! Are you going? Sounds awesome!

Eline March 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

what a great photos!
Wish I could be there in Chicago..

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails