MegaMonsterSnowmaggedonSnowpocalypseBlizzaster

Why is it so hard to take photos of snow?  It never really looks like there is as much snow as there actually is and the color always sucks.  So you'll just have to take my word (plus the word of the news across the globe) that we got a s*** ton of snow in the last 24 hours.  I mean, whoa.  As of right now, 20.2 inches of the stuff is on the ground.  The wind is still blowing something fierce, the temps are dropping.  But at least the sideways snow has come to an end.  I tried to take pictures and video of the craziest winter storm I've ever seen from the time it began until this afternoon.  

The wind really blew hard and snow started to collect on our kitchen window, but not the others.  I took this last night around 8 p.m.


The same window.

This was taken this morning.  Before the snow blower guy came along.

The view from our bedroom window.  Lovely view, right?  Right.  





Our back porch!  I opened the back door, fearful that all the snow would fall in like it does when you open the car door.  But it stayed perfectly in place (thank heavens because it was halfway up the door!).  You can't even see the stairs!  It's like a waterfall of snow!



This is the side street that runs along Kedzie Blvd.  There's snow way any cars were getting out of there today.  We helped push a car a few streets down.  It's really not that smart of an idea to drive a 1992 Toyota Corolla around in this kind of weather, now is it?  There's really not that much snow on the cars because of the 60+ mph wind we had all night long.  It really was a snownado out there!  Thunder and lightning!  

For approximately 16+ hours, Fullerton Avenue was completely covered with snow.  Unheard of!  A snow plow would come along every few hours, but as soon as it plowed any snow it was covered back up again in an instant.  I've never seen anything like this before.  Chicago is always super prepared for this, but even the most prepared couldn't handle the wrath of the 'MegaMonsterSnowmaggedonSnowpocalypseBlizzaster' of 2011.  The firemen were given snow mobiles to rescue cars.  Firetrucks have been blasting their sirens all night and all day long.  I read some stories of a few women who went into labor.   One hospital only had one surgeon who was mid-surgery when a woman desperately needed a C-section.  They had to send an emergency crew to get another surgeon for her because he was totally stuck.  I'm glad that wasn't Hadley!  Speaking of Hadley, she gets another snow day! 2 in a row!

We ventured out to play earlier, and to get beer from Walgreens.  So many people were out and about taking pictures.  We saw people snow shoeing, skiing, etc.  I made a snow angel.  We threw a few snowballs.  He took pictures of me standing next to snow drifts that were (nearly) the same height as myself.  While he took that picture, I was staring at some snow drifts that were even bigger in the parking lot of the Social Security building.  Honestly, it's fascinating.


I look like an Oompa Loompa in this picture.  I guess that's what 3 pairs of pants, 3 layers of tops and a big huge honkin' coat does for my figure.  But to make snow angels, one has to wear a lot of clothes!

I said that this is totally the kind of storm that you tell your grandkids about years down the road.  You don't even have to ham it up to impress them!  I mean, for the love of all things sacred...Lake Shore Drive was CLOSED, leaving hundreds of stranded drivers helpless ALL NIGHT LONG.  But honestly, don't drive along Lake Michigan during a blizzard with 60+ mph winds.  That's just crazy.

It feels so eerie here, but I like it.  That is, as long as my power stays on...

I hope everyone else out there is staying safe and warm!

25 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket February 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

Wow you are snowed in..

That is perfect sledding snow.. When I was a kid I used the top of a garbage can to go down the hills :)

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM  

It is perfect sledding snow. I just fell back into it to make my snow angel and all i could say was "man, this is really comfortable!". So fluffy and soft!

Cara Kuhl February 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

It has been so fun to play in!

Megan @ Pink O'Clock February 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM  

wow, that's CRAZY! i can't even imagine that! stay warm -- but have fun making snow angels. ;) xoxo

Joanna February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM  

That snow is absolutely nuts, but so so beautiful. It looks like it would be a magical, eerie, fun, frustrating place to be, all in one!

Michelle February 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM  

Great pictures, but brrrr.....

Natalie February 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

that's so true... it is hard to take decent pictures of the snow...i kinda miss the 5 inches we got here a few weeks ago...

ali v. February 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM  

ohmygracious! what an adventure! so glad you made it...even though it looks like you got DUMPED on. loved the title of this post too...you always know how to crack me up! hope you're having a great day, my dear! xoxo {av}

Brooke T February 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

That's too crazy! I can't believe the snow I wish it would just be Spring already!

E February 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

I had to drive through sideways snow once before. So yI believe you when you say it was a s-ton.

iheartkiwi February 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

I cannot imagine what it would be like to wake up to that outside your window!

Here in Phoenix it dropped down into the 40s and I thought I was going to die. Clearly, I know nothing about living in a cold climate.

Paloma February 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM  

please someone end this madness!! hopefully punxatawney phil can :)

shellie February 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

yes i agree with the last comment....maybe you will replay this day over and over and over....oh its my most favorite movie ever....

Lady Grey February 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

Blizzaster is right! We're completely snowed in up in Montreal as well... it's ridiculous!
Gorgeous photos!
oxo

Leslie February 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

That is a lot of snow! I hope that you stay safe.

rebecca February 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM  

enjoy it! that will go down in the books for sure.

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

Hah! We just watched Groundhog Day in honor of the occasion. It was as good as it always is!

Alicia@ eco freindly homemaking February 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM  

Wow you really got the snow!Love the photo of the tree. Really like your blog!

Alvin Dsuza February 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM  

Your blog is very nice. This is perfect place to fun.

If anyone want to buy a mobile phone so
u can buy here please click here.

Mobile Phones India: New Mobile Price Online in India, Buy Latest Mobile Handsets like Micromax, Samsung, Karbonn, Nokia, Onida, Fly Mobiles with free shipping in India by Online Mobile Store.

Diana Mieczan February 3, 2011 at 5:56 AM  

OMG that is really a lot of snow!!! Enjoy it, sweetie and stay warm:) Hugs and kisses

Alli (One Pearl Button) February 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

Oh wow, that is A LOT of snow!! Stay warm!

Kirby Margaret February 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM  

Wowza! I was thinking of you last night as we were watching the news. glad you can leave the house now. looks like that wind was parallel to the ground!

jeanette from everton terrace February 3, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

It certainly looks like a crazy amount of snow to me. Although I live in Phoenix so I probably don't count :)

stephiejane February 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

that is crazy!!! i heard on the news that someone abandoned their car on lakeshore, took a wrong turn and fell in the lake and died...how scary and sad!

anyhoo, hope you guys are staying safe and warm!!!

love all the snowy pictures :)

Some Korean Website Highjacker February 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM  

omg, that is so intense! um, what a perfect title, like no exaggeration whatsoever. we didn't come anywhere close to this kind of powder, i'm in awe!

i love that your mission during all this was to get beer, uber importanto...i agree. love it. keep warm in all your cute "bundle-up-ins" lades. ♥

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails