Summer Bucket List

As some of you know, this summer is kind of huge for us.  We bought a house and are packing up our life in Chicago for a new life in Louisville, KY.  We're moving in a super short amount of time, which leaves me freaking out on a regular basis.

Our house is awesome. It's everything we wanted, it has many bedrooms and bathrooms, a big yard and a lot of character.  We're both incredibly excited to move, to start a new chapter of our lives and to put down some roots.  But we're both sad, incredibly overwhelmed and feeling nervous about all of the change.

Last summer was huge for us - we got married.  But that didn't really change much of anything, except for the fact that we can say 'husband' and 'wife' and we both wear rings and my last name is different.  But we didn't pick up our lives and leave behind good friends to try and make new ones somewhere else.

So my summer bucket list is kind of a strange one.  As much as I want to do anything and everything in Chicago while we're still here, I keep finding that we're not doing anything we thought we'd do.  I haven't been to Millennium Park for a free Monday night concert.  We haven't visited any of the museums we said we would.  We haven't gone to those restaurants we'd never been to, or the blues bars I have been wanting to experience.

Even though summer has just begun - I feel like it's already ending.  I have to do all of this stuff within the next two weeks or else we'll have to save it all for when we visit.

Before we move, I want to ::


Go see a show at one of the two best venues in Chicago - The Hideout or The Empty Bottle.  It's been too long since I've gone to either of these two places and that really kind of breaks my heart.  


Spend an evening hanging out at Kingston Mines with two very close friends.  I think this one will happen for sure (hint hint)


When I first moved here (and even before I moved here) I visited the Museum of Contemporary Art many, many times.  It's such an incredible museum - the art is so much more my speed and the size isn't at all overwhelming.  The first time I went, I fell in love because I was able to see some of Cindy Sherman's work in the flesh.  I haven't been in years and will be a little heartbroken if I don't make it down there before I go.  I would also like to go to the Museum of Science & Industry again, but I really want to go there with my littlest niece, Ally.  She is big into that kind of stuff and I can't wait to potentially see her face light up!


Most importantly, I really just want to spend the remainder of our time here with my friends.  I've made some incredible friends here and I'll miss them with every beat of my heart.  They're the kind of friendships that will last forever and ever, and I can't even begin to express how much that means to me.  

After our big move, the bucket list includes spending as much time as possible outdoors, going down to the lake with the in-laws, going for long walks at dusk to explore our new neighborhood and most importantly - get a puppy!  Oh and then there's the whole "getting settled into our house and buying new furniture, painting and carefully decorating the house room by room".  But I imagine that will take a long time and I've got no plans of rushing it!

Thanks to Jillian of Cornflake Dreams for the link up - be sure to swing by her lovely blog to read more bucket lists!

28 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket June 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

my vote is get a pug. do it :) I know you want to.

vintch June 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

this is certainly a transitional time, but it's the PERFECT time to soak up Chi-town's loveliness. oh, one of my favorite places ever! free concert series on mondays? one of the most magical evenings i've ever experienced. your new home sounds magical and homey and relaxing and beautiful. be sure to post lots of pictures as you accomplish your bucket list!

Johanna June 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

You guys will make the move fabulous! And enjoy every minute of Chicago. Well miss you!

Stephanie June 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

Enjoy the rest of your time here in Chicago! It really is a great city!

Unknown June 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

Reading this is making me want to visit Chi-town again. :/ Oh how I miss that city. Well, if you don't get to do everything before you leave, it will be a good excuse to come back and visit :)
xoxo
-linh
http://la-lalinh.blogspot.com

Drew {Coral Cafe} June 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

Totally agree with spending time with the friends that are near and dear to your heart already! So hard to find these days!

Great list!

seesaw designs June 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

what a great list. i love chicago, i can imagine how much you'd miss it... good luck with all of the moving stuff! i know how much work it is.

-angela

jillian :: cornflake dreams. June 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

i love both lists.. the chicago farewell tour and the "welcome to your new fantastic home and life" tour. don't worry you'll have a great summer no matter what and all of those chicago things will be here when you visit---good thing you're not moving super far away! just stay upbeat and optimistic. focus on all the goods..like a puppy!?!? totally jealous :) thanks for linking up! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

A Crimson Kiss June 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM  

I love this bucket list, and you absolutely made me tear up! I'm feeling so lucky that lots of dear friends are moving to SF (I like to think it's because of us, and one has even admitted to it!), so my summer bucket list involves waiting for them all to get here, and having lots of fun in the meantime.

Also, I second Erika's pug vote. And maybe name him Badger.

Kirby Margaret June 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM  

change is scary! but so exciting. just wait until you get your guest room set up and you can invite all your chicago friends for a weekend to explore your new city!

ag. June 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

This is such a great post. As sad as it will be to move, it looks like you've got some really great things coming up both in Chicago and once you move. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Amber June 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM  

Its so easy to take for granted the things that our cities have to offer. When I left NY I realized just how much I didnt do because I just left like there was always more time. I hope you check off every item on your bucket list!

Vintage is for Lovers June 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM  

You are going to love your new home! What a very exciting time for you both! Congratulation on it all! I know change can be scary but it always becomes something so much more than you can even imagine right now. xo Samantha

Jenny N June 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

wonderful! this sounds like an exciting summer for you.

Nat{natyouraveragegirl} June 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

great list! i too would love to do more local things before it's too late!

Corinna June 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM  

Go get em'! And thanks for this post, your reminding me that we need to do the things we want to while were still in Raleigh, just because we're unsure of our time here.

Ashley {A Cat in Gloves} June 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

omg I love this list and I literally laughed out loud at the Berenstain Bears poll you have on your page. How have I NOT been following you??!!
A Cat in Gloves

Mary Shouvlin June 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

love the focus on friends & being outdoors. the best!

xo. foralifeinspired.

FRANKIE HEARTS FASHION June 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

I love this list! Change is never easy but exciting to think about all the new memories and experiences you will make and have! Wishing you the best and hope you get to do all of the things on your list! xo

Anonymous,  June 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

Moving is such a crazy thing. My husband and I moved from KS to NC last summer, and it was such a big change. Do all those things you want to do on your bucket list while Chicago! Especially the ones with friends. Go luck on your move! I hope all goes amazingly smoothly

Oh, My Darling June 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

I hope you encounter lots of adventures and make great memories with your bucket list!

alli/hooray June 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

Can only imagine how overwhelming it must feel to move out of state - hope your last weeks in Chicago are full of fun + friends. Lucky for you the weather this time of year is perfect for exploring :)

Jamie-Lee Burns June 16, 2011 at 3:01 AM  

It sounds like you have some exciting times ahead of you though, and there's still time to soak up the Chicago atmosphere :)

Lady Grey June 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM  

Summer is just full of possibilities - it's magic : )
I hope you get all your list checked off and that you have a wonderful summer and good luck with all the changes!
oxo

classiq June 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM  

This is an exciting and challenging time for you, I can imagine. So make the best of it while you're still in Chicago and don't miss out on anything on that wishlist. :)Ada

Emily {Isnt That Charming} June 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

Aw - what a sweet post. Congrats on moving!
PS - Kingston Mines is one of my favorite bars. Of all the things on your list - this is a MUST! So fun!

Jaime @ laviejaime June 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM  

great list! i am sure you will complete your Chicago Bucket List- enjoy your time this summer and congrats on moving :)

Tiffany from HOLIDAY June 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

Such a bittersweet post. It made me think of when I moved from NYC back to Dallas. It's hard and it will probably take some time for you to adjust. But the excitement of exploring a new city and starting fresh, in a new home...what a fun chapter for you two! Can't wait to read all about the details of your new life as they unfold. In the meantime, ENJOY the last few pages of Chicago! xoxo

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails