Coffee Cake

Saturday night, we got wild.  We stayed in, snuggled on the couch to watch some TV and then decided to make coffee cake.  Wild, right?  Yeah.

We had some blueberries to use, but sadly they were moldy.  I hate when we let that happen!  So I made a basic coffee cake and have been slowly devouring it ever since. 

I followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, knowing it would be delicious.  Delicious it was!  Here is the recipe I followed:

Sour Cream or Yogurt Coffee Cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13 x 9-inch pan.

Whisk together thoroughly:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine in another bowl and set aside:
1 1/4 cups sour cream or yogurt (I used yogurt a little of both, 1 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup sour cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 3 to 4 minutes:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar

Beat in 1 at a time:
2 large eggs

Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the sour cream mixture in 2 parts, beating on low speed or stirring until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly.  Sprinkle with streusel (recipe below).  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes (mine took 35, actually).  Let cool briefly in the pan on a rack, serve warm (we actually served it the following morning with coffee, duh!).

Streusel:

Blend with a fork or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs:

2/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour and it tastes excellent)
2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)
2/3 cup sugar or packed light brown sugar, or a combination (I used a combo)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

And voila:

* I got a new phone over the weekend, so I immediately downloaded the retro camera app and tried taking pictures that way.  I realize now that I just suck at taking photos of food - sorry everyone!

We still have quite a lot of this coffee cake leftover...but I"m still pretty into eating little bits of it here and there!

3 comments:

molly August 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

yum yum yum!! coffee cake is AMAZING!!! i've never made it though!! i will have to try this recipe. and sorry about the mold... mold gives me the heeby geebies!!

A Crimson Kiss August 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

I love your Saturday evening-sounds just like how we spent ours! Sub coffee cake for chocolate pudding.

This looks so delicious-my tummy is rumbling audibly!

Anna Walker August 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

I love the retro camera app!!! And Yummy! That coffee cake looks delish!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails