Horseshoes

Since I was a little girl, horseshoes have always fascinated me.  I love the way they look, I love the sounds they make when you clonk them together or throw them down the pit to get a ringer.  I love how for me, they symbolize a man I once knew, my grandpa.  We have a pair, just like these, hanging above our front door.  I'm not superstitious about them or anything but I do like that they're supposed to bring good luck.

When my grandpa passed away, there was a lot of stuff he had that all of us wanted as a reminder of the man he was.  The items I took included these horseshoes and a couple of random tools and some stickers from the team he played horseshoes with in his league.  So every time I look at these (or the other random ones used for decoration) I always get warm and fuzzy with happy thoughts of him.  Do you have anything that makes you feel this way?  I don't know why but today I woke up and can't stop thinking about him and my grandma.  They weren't in my dreams taht I can remember and it's not a particularly special day, so I'm convinced they're just trying to say hello from afar. 

4 comments:

DZA August 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

I really expect you to step up your blogging game now that you're unemployed. Also, you probably need to add me to your blogroll: http://man-i-cure.tumblr.com/

Tamara August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

so happy to have found your blog via concerning pancakes.

i know what you mean about the horseshoes. i just inherited my grandparents' set of tinker toys for my son to enjoy. to me it's a little family gem.

Anonymous,  August 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

I have my grandmother's scissors: she bought them when she got married in 1938, and used them to make my aunt's wedding dress out of an american soldier's parachute during the war...if only those scissors could talk.

Punctuation Mark August 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

very cute and heart warming post... i love that you kept something from him and that every time you see it you are reminded of him... have a nice weekend!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails