Gardening with Maggie







 Ferns, gnomes, Lily of the Valley and Coral Bells make up some of the backyard garden at Maggie's house in Evanston, IL.  I can say without a doubt, that they have one of the best backyards around this city - perfect for summer outdoor parties.  Lucky for me, she is hosting a party next week to celebrate all the birthdays with so many of our closest friends (many of whom happen to be in town next week for a wedding on the 4th that I'm really looking forward to) and it's going to take place in this very yard.  I for one Can. Not. Wait.

The ferns are a whole wall of green.  They're huge and abundant.  What's really cool about their backyard garden is how true they keep it to the climate we're in.  Everything they choose is native to the area and they let them go by their own cycle.  If they die they die, if they live and come back next season it's a bonus.


 Aside from planting a garden in their backyard, they also have ~ 12 x 8 feet of space in the Evanston community garden.  Here you can see shallots sprouting up.  While things to tend to take a little longer to sprout up in these parts, this space is direct sun and does yield a lot of produce with the right amount of work.  Last year, the abundance of produce they grew from their double plot was enough to feed them for months as well as friends.  So instead of wasting great produce, she sold it to local cafes!

I don't know about you, but these photos have me itching to use my green thumb!

* All images by Maggie Faircloth Gresham



14 comments:

Unknown May 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

i'm doing mushrooms and gnomes too in my garden!!!!!

Anonymous,  May 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM  

I am so envious of people with garden space. I would love to grow something outside. : )

Diana Mieczan May 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

That garden looks so fantastic and I love Lily of the Valley:) Kisses, sweetie and enjoy your Thursday

The Olive Tree Blog May 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

I planted a garden last year...it was so hard!! I think every veggie should cost 5.00 a piece :) I don't have much of green thumb :(

Jenny N May 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

aw, it's lovely! I love planting things and watching them grow. Boyfriend and I have the garden all planted now. I'm so excited to get out there and weed! Is that odd? haha.

Shari May 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM  

Some day when I have a house, I will have a garden of some sort! I think they add so much.

Kirby Margaret May 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

oh girl! you have to put a gnome in your future garden! I can't wait to plant a garden!

k May 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM  

ferns are so great to grow because you can split them and give them to friends! and the gnome reminds me of switzerland, everyone has them here :)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts May 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM  

man I want a gnome like super bad- and ferns- and lily of the valley.

A Crimson Kiss May 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM  

WOW-Maggie's garden is incredible! Those lily of the valley are just so darling!

Karen May 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM  

I love the gnome!!! My gnome is one of my favorite things in my backyard and true to legend my gnome does a great job protecting my garden!!

P.S - Come check out my give-away if you have some time!!

xox,
karen

www.rubytuesdayfashionanddesign.blogspot.com

angela hardison May 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

wow! someday, i'll have a huge garden...

Oh, My Darling May 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

I'm a sucker for a good lawn gnome.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails