House Preview

First off, thank you all so much for your sweet congratulatory comments on our good news!  I'm excited to share a little preview with you about our new home.

The house itself is an old one but with a sturdy foundation and has had the necessary maintenance and upgrades.  We're going down on Saturday for the inspection and our fingers are crossed that all goes well.  The fact that it's an old home means it has lots of character - which is something both of us required.  When I first saw the listing, I fell in love with the doors, porch and fireplace and knew it was a real possibility.

We saw the house one Saturday morning, where we actually met our agent for the first time.  We were scheduled to see several other houses that day and would see many more in the weeks to come.  We liked the house a lot, but weren't sure about the location (it's kind of far from where we were originally looking) and wanted to check out what else the city had to offer us.  So we looked, and we looked and then looked some more.  We liked some other houses, thought about them for a couple of weeks and then returned to look at them again.

I decided that we needed to look at this house again, along with one other house we had been interested in.  Before this, we had looked at one other house twice and didn't like it the second time back.  So we were skeptical.  But then we saw it again and loved it.  The location was perfect - it sits on an old country road with horses, a honey farm and a nursery.  There is a limestone quarry at the end of the road which we had been skeptical about before, but after going back we realized it was several miles down the road.  Whew!  The only downside (as of now) to this house now is that the husband can barely stand up in the basement.  But we decided that the house itself had enough square feet to make up for the fact that the basement isn't finishable.  So we spent a lot of time looking everything over, then moved on to the second house that we would look at twice.

We didn't like it.  At all.

Then we saw a few more new-to-us homes.  We didn't like those, either.

Then later that day, I received a phone call from our current landlord.  They had filed bankruptcy.  Sign? I think so.

Then I won some money at the Derby. Sign? Probably not.  Really, I just wanted to brag about that.  :)

We slept on it.  We enjoyed Mother's Day with my mother-in-law.  We drove back to Chicago.

Then we decided for sure - it was the one.  We called our agent and told him our decision.  Then we made an offer, they accepted and we drank some bubbly.  All in 24 hours time!  Now it's all I can think about!

So here it is, in all its glory ::


The picture was taken in February - which I think made it that much more appealing when we saw it in person.  The trees are HUGE and beautiful.  There is so much greenery in the area, it's really quite amazing.  It's a complete change from what we're used to here which makes us that much more excited about it all!  We're going to spend so many wonderful morning/afternoon/evening/nights on that front porch.  We're installing a porch swing ASAP.

I can't wait to snuggle up on cold winter nights in front of that fireplace (I can wait, actually).  Also, how amazing is that front door?!  Oh the decorating possibilities!  My dreams of owning a rustic old house have come true!

Last, the kitchen.  It looks so small in this photo but it's much larger in person.  Those pretty double doors are hiding the washer/dryer and the door to the left is the side entrance.  I really think that it will be amazing to cook in there, even if it isn't the huge kitchen like we hoped for.  It's still twice as big as our current one :)

There aren't too many updates we'll need to make when we move in - other than putting our touch on things.  There's a screened-in porch area in the back that we're planning to upgrade once we're settled and the huge backyard (we've got almost half an acre of land!) is a blank canvas for us to do whatever we please!

I can't wait to have your help with decorating ideas - it's going to be so much fun.

* All images via the KW listing, which I'd prefer to keep private

43 comments:

Shari May 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM  

Congratulations lady! It looks gorgeous. :)

The Olive Tree Blog May 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

oh.my.goodness!!!! LOVE IT! Such charm and uniqueness!! Great curb appeal! Just start stalking HGTV and Pinterest for decor ideas, that is what I did :)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts May 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM  

Mazel Tov- I love your new house!

Corinna May 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

Congratulations! It's such a gorgeous home!

Sophie May 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

umm....WOW! that front porch of yours is amazing. so is the whole house :) congratulations. that is so exciting! cant wait to see how you decorate it xx

Sara B May 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

Oh my gosh that's so great!! What an awesome home! Congrats!

Jenny N May 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

oh my gosh!!! It is toooo cute! Love the wood floors. and the cute yard. and the little bell above the carport thing! wonderful. I love it.

Andrea May 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM  

Your house is adorable!!! And there are so many decorating possibilities. I'm loving the warm wood and your front door. Congrats!

Tara @ Haute Lunch May 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM  

It looks beautiful! You'll definitely have to do some decorating posts!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} May 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM  

Congratulations!!!!! The house is absolutely beautiful. So exciting

Ashleigh May 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

Oh my goodness, it's fabulous!!!
Congratulations, the house is lovely and I'm so envious of the front porch & fireplace :)

Virginie's Cinema May 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

Wowsa! I looks AMAZING! Congratulations you guys, I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you will be very happy in this house :)

Thelma Frayne May 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM  

Oh my God! What fantastic news and the place is absolutely lovely. So happy for you xx

Signe May 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM  

Congratulations! What a lovely home it will be :)

Amber May 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM  

that house is really cute. I love that front door! Congrats again :)

Natalie May 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

I'm si jealous... love the wood floors. what city is this?
congrats!

stephanie May 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM  

I love it! That porch is making me a little jealous. :)

Blace May 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM  

So much wood! I love it and the front door is gorgeous! Congrats!

April May 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Holy shit. That house looks AMAZING. Congrats!!!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} May 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM  

Your new house is beautiful! Congratulations!

Kirby Margaret May 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM  

how did I miss this news! must be the distraction of family in town. But congratulations on the big purchase! how exciting and I'm totally jealous!

Unknown May 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM  

to DIE for front door - i love it all - it's PERFECT in so many ways ur new home! - all the love and happiness babes!

Jess May 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

Congrats! I love your new house! You will absolutely love it!!!!!

Lady Grey May 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

It's gorgeous! I LOVE the front door. Congratulations - you definitely made the right choice!
xo

Johanna May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

That is such a sweet house. Adorable

Michelle May 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM  

So happy for you! Congrats and it looks GREAT!

natasha {schue love} May 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM  

Oh your new home is just lovely!!! Congratulations!!

Anne Book ( Signature Style) May 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM  

I love this house! SO SO cute! I cant wait to see you decorate it! I want that house to decorate. Nice thing is... all of the good solid essentials are there- the kitchen is gorgeous. So you can spend your money on decorating! Such a fun time in your life. CONGRATS

k May 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM  

congrats!!! it is SUCH a pretty house!! I'm all about character as well and that one has loads of it, i love it!

Unknown May 17, 2011 at 6:18 AM  

Oh that's perfect! Congrats! Old house?? It looks fairly new and modern to me!:o)

Anonymous,  May 17, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

oh, I've lost this!! Thew house looks really gorgeus, and there is a fireplace, like you wanted!! I really like the porch, a swing is going to give you such relax. See? Dreams do come true!!

classiq May 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM  

It's wonderful! I love the rustic touch, the beautiful doors and floors, the fireplace of course, it's going to be so challenging decorating it and to make it your own. :)

Stephanie May 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

Oh my gosh, it's perfect! I especially love the front door. Congrats on your new home and new location. Yay!

Unknown May 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

WOW! How beautiful! That is so lovely!!! You must be so pleased and exciting! :) xx

A Crimson Kiss May 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!


It's even better than I imagined-how DREAMY!! The honey farm, the horses, the country road-it all sounds perfect, and I can't wait to see how decorating comes along, too! Fingers crossed that the inspection goes off without a hitch!

Also, your landlords filing for bankruptcy is a pretty perfect addition to this story. The house was meant to be!

liza May 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

It's beautiful. Congratulations!! So exciting.

this free bird May 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

This house is absolutely beautiful!! CONGRATULATIONS!! It is warm and cozy and has soooo much character. So happy for you guys!!

xo,
Carrie

Gloria May 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

love that beautiful stone fireplace - jealous! and the kitchen will be so perfect for entertaining :-) congrats!

Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} May 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM  

So excited for you... It all sounds incredible. Congratulations!

Brandi May 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM  

This house is stunning, my dear! I love that front porch and the fireplace and you have ample kitchen space too? Score! And I can't wait to see how you transform it all. Fingers crossed that everything goes well with the inspection!

audrey marie May 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM  

congrats - it looks LOVELY!!!

victoria | vmac+cheese May 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

Adorable home! Can't wait to see you put your own touches on it.

Tiffany from HOLIDAY May 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM  

How exciting!!! Congrats! It's a darling home! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails