Terrariums











Today I have someone very exciting to introduce to you - my sweet friend Maggie!  Mags is pretty awesome.  She takes amazing photographs, cooks, gardens, listens to great music and she's super funny (not to mention plenty of other things).  Being the generous person she is, she is sharing amazing images with us while I'm off enjoying my pre-birthday vacation.  Oh yeah, did I mention I was going on vacation?  I'm heading to Florida today for a 4-day stint in Clearwater.  We're taking advantage of family property with my sister-in-law and her boyfriend and it's going to be awesome.  Then we come back and boom, it's my birthday on Monday!  Okay, back to the point of the post...

How amazing are these terrariums?  With inspiration from Chicago (and Brooklyn) store Sprout Home, Maggie started creating little worlds throughout her home in glass jars.  Living in Chicago can be tough on plants if you aren't lucky enough to have direct sunlight - so the first round of experimentation didn't go so well.  So instead of starting over completely with the real things, she took to the non-living.  Above, you can see terrariums full of bird feathers, rocks and pebbles, a bee hive, books, skulls.

"I just wanted to try and take back control over these worlds that you get to create.  It's almost like photographing, where you get to frame things yourself.  That's what I do when I photograph, you frame stuff and it becomes this whole other world."

So awesome.  Thanks for sharing these, Maggie!  There will be more Maggie awesomeness tomorrow and Thursday.  Be sure to look out for garden + farmers market posts!

* All images by Maggie Faircloth Gresham

20 comments:

Andrea May 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

Love that idea! I'll have to check out Sprout Home.

Tiffany Kadani May 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

I love her comment about framing. I never though of it before. I think it has completely changed my outlook on art.

A Crimson Kiss May 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

These terrariums are just gorgeous, and I'm also in love with her framing advice-genius!

Have a wonderful vacation, darling-I'm envious!

The Olive Tree Blog May 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

These are great! I has seen some really cute ones filled with match box cars : )

stephanie [the merry way] May 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM  

What a great idea! Does she have a blog?

Ashleigh May 25, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

Have a lovely vaca!

I love how Maggie explained it, excellent. The one with books is genius - keeps them from getting dusty while enjoying the pretty covers.

Amber May 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

have an awesome time in Florida!

Stephanie May 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM  

the book terrarium cracks me up. what a clever and cute idea!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM  

This is a really cool idea - I love the floating plants above a table or living area. Super cute!

Oh, My Darling May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Kudos to Maggie! When I tried making my Sprout Home inspired terrariums, I just forgot the upkeep and they got all dry. She's a terrarium superstar!

Bud and Leo May 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM  

Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Corinna May 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM  

These are AMAZING!Did you see my post last week about these lovely guys?!

Diana Smith May 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

Have fun in warm Florida! I am quite jealous! and those terraniums look really cool!

audrey marie May 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

happy birthday and have a great trip!!!

Brandi May 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM  

Great photos from Maggie and I hope you have an awesome time in Florida celebrating your birthday!!

Marie May 26, 2011 at 1:33 AM  

Advance Happy Birthday!:D

Have a fun and safe trip!:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

k May 26, 2011 at 5:40 AM  

hope you are enjoying your vacay!! i so need a littler terrarium for my new apt, one of those cute hanging ones!

Unknown May 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

i have had a place bookmarked for SOOOOOOOO long to buy these - and i just never did - i think they are BEYOND coolness - i want!

stephiejane May 26, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

oooh i'm loving these terrariums!! definitely need some of that in my home :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails