Weekend Recap + A Winner!


Well, I can honestly say that quite frankly, this weekend ruled.  Aside from the whole driving bit, we had a terrific time (but even the drive wasn't bad, no rain this time!), full of friends and exciting stuff.  Some highlights include ::


  • A night out with friends at Zanzabar to watch the Broken Spurs play (which actually led to too much booze for this Mo Pie = hangover for a very important day)
  • House hunting - we only saw 2 new ones but revisited 2 older ones.  I think we might be done but I don't want to jinx it!  I'll let you know as I know more!
  • After snarfing down the greasiest of fries and then eating a grilled cheese, I felt better so we were able to go to the DERBY!  It was by far one of the most amazing and thrilling 2 minutes I could have hoped for.  We watched the race from the infield and we squeezed our way right up to the fence to get the only view we could of the horses zooming by.  It might have only been a split second that I saw them, but watching them whiz by was as magical as seeing a shooting star or a beautiful animal walking through your yard.  Color me impressed.  My horse, Mucho Macho Man, seemed like a winner.  My mom suggested I pick him because he was born in my hometown and was actually not alive when he was born.  His original name was to be Lazarus because he had risen from the dead, but was changed after he was sold.  His trainer also received a heart transplant in 2008, so the whole story is pretty amazing.  Sadly, he took 3rd and not 1st but I suppose it was just Animal Kingdom's day.  We stayed and bet on the race after the big one and I actually won some money!  I picked Good Lord simply because of the name and good Lord, I won $38!  If only I had been slightly more prepared I could have dressed up and worn a hat.  Sorry, friends.  Next time.
  • Staring at all the Derby fashion is a great way to enjoy the day.  Mint Juleps are fun to buy but not really fun to drink.  But collectors glasses are pretty great!  
  • Wild Ginger on Bardstown road is delicious
  • Mother's Day with my mother-in-law!  I haven't been able to spend a Mother's day with my mom or any mom in a very long time, so it was really nice.  We grilled and ate in her beautiful backyard and enjoyed the beautiful 80-degree weather and sunshine.  If only my mom could have been there too!
Here are some more pictures - I wasn't able to take much, mainly because all I could really see were just swarms of people.  When you pay to get into the infield, you don't get to see much at all.  But I was promised that once we live there we'll be making trips to Churchill Downs whenever we want so I can get the full experience.  But going to the Derby was pretty incredible and we had a lot of fun.  




Sorry for the phone pics - I am not a photographer :)

In other news....we have a WINNER of the Gemmifer Handmade Giveaway! Thank you all SO VERY MUCH for participating in this but mainly I want to say thank you all so much for reading my blog and coming here to comment on it every day.  It means the world to me to have readers like you and I am thankful for each and every one of you.  I can't wait for many more years of happiness with you all!  So without further adieu...the winner is...

Comment # 44 - Samantha of Vintage is for Lovers!!  We'll be sure to get your necklace to you ASAP so you can sport it all summer long!

Thanks for playing everyone, I hope to do it again soon!

11 comments:

Blace May 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

Mint Juleps! I actually like them for some reason. Hopefully I can go to the derby someday....sigh...

Ren- Lady Of The Arts May 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

Sounds like a great weekend. That hat looks great- I am a huge Mint Julep fan althoug I have never made them at home-

Julie {love, julie} May 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

I am so jealous you got to go see the race! What an amazing time!!

Lady Grey May 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

Sounds like a great weekend! I've sadly never been to a real derby before, but it looks like fun!
xo

Vintage is for Lovers May 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

What a lovely weekend! {and there is nothing like some grease to cure the hangover. that and a mint julep. but no fun to drink?} How fun to be able to attend the Derby!! And I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am that I won your give-a-way! This is my first!!!! Yay!!!! Thank you soo much!! I think it automatically gets called my lucky necklace. xo Samantha

Anna Walker May 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

Awesome that you went to the Derby!!! I love your horses name haha. His story is amazingly Impressive!! The Derby is such an amazing opportunity to attend! Hope you had a fantastic time!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Amber May 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM  

Hangovers are no fun but at least you were able to perk up and get on with your day. Sounds like you had quite the eventful weekend

Corinna May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM  

Sounds like a great weekend!I hope the house works out!!

Sarah Engel May 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM  

that sounds like the most perfect weekend!! great entertainment, food, drinks and people:)

Tiffany from HOLIDAY May 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

What a wonderful weekend! I'd love to attend the derby one year. Next year it falls on Stella's bday so I'm going to use it as the theme.

Ashleigh May 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

Ah! Miss a week around here, miss a lot! Sooo fun that you were able to go to Derby! I have to admit I'm a bit more into the fashion than the horses but those 2 minutes are quite thrilling!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails