Shelter for the South



As many of you may know, Laken of Farmhouse is a Tuscaloosa resident who survived the F5 tornado 
that tore through her community last week.  Together with Caitlin of Roost (and the designer behind my blog header), Shelter for the South was created.  I'm so impressed with how amazing both of these women are, not only for their efforts in bringing aid to the south but for their every day inspiration they bring me.  Seriously, these are two bloggers that I'm so happy to have in my virtual life.

With that being said, Shelter for the South is a relief effort to bring help to those who have been effected by the many tornadoes and storms that ripped through the south last week.  Just one day before, I was reflecting on the day I survived an F5 tornado that ripped through communities in and around Wichita, KS 20 years ago.  That day has left a permanent impact on my life, it left a giant scar on my young heart.   I can only imagine what everyone who was effected is going through.  

There are so many people that need our help.  Just as we all came together for Haiti and Japan, we need to come together to help out our own.  While I may not have much to give, I know that any little bit I can offer will go a long way.  So this is where we all come in.  Do what you can to spread the word.  Tell all your friends, post on your blog, spread the love on Facebook and Twitter and any other means of communication.

Visit their website, 'like' their Facebook page, donate anything you can.

23 comments:

Annie May 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Thank you for spreading the word ~ I love seeing bloggers who choose to use their blog for something good. :) You and so many others are such an inspiration. Thank you!

Vintage is for Lovers May 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

Wow! What an inspiring collaboration! We often forget how many of people in our own country need help, support, and love. Thank you for promoting this outreach. I will do my part to share the love! xo Samantha

The Olive Tree Blog May 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

I live in an area effect by tornado's every year! Great post I will for sure link this on Thursday!

Caitlin May 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

Thanks for spreading the love and word Meagan!!

m_b May 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM  

this is such a wonderful way to help out. we need to use our blogs for good! thanks for posting this and i will definitely post about it. :)

Johanna May 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing...I will definitely spread the word!

Stephanie May 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

Thank you for posting this! I even had to update my post to include the information. A wonderful website and a worthy cause.

Sara May 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

This is such a great cause! I'll definitely spread the word. I thank my lucky stars that my cousins in Birmingham came out of the storms with only minimal damage and no power. What a horrific event that touched so many lives.

And I wasn't quite 7 when the Andover tornado hit 20 years ago, but I still remember it well. We lived 2.5 hours north, but we were glued to our TVs watching the whole thing unfold. Scary scary.

Johanna May 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM  

I'm so glad to have stumbled onto your blog. I will definitely spread the word on Whirly Bird. I know quite a few people in Tuscaloosa and the aftermath was so devastating. I was just wondering if the rest of the country had already forgotten about them since the tornado no longer makes the headlines. I know people in my town really want to help, and I'm willing to do as much as I can.

k May 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

this is so great, thanks for sharing it...so much help needed there now.

Jaime @ laviejaime May 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

this is a beautiful post..i am going to put on my blog tomorrow :)

seesaw designs May 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM  

thanks for the heads up! it's so nice to see bloggers supporting each other in times of need.

Michelle May 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

Wonderful that you are bringing attention to this :)

Anna @ IHOD May 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM  

Thank you for spreading the word. What a fantastic initiative! I will check it out for sure!

Ashleigh May 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

Sadly, the coverage of the storm devastation is not as prevalent in the news as it needs to be! Thanks for sharing this effort with us, off to check it out!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} May 4, 2011 at 12:06 AM  

THank you for posting this and spreading awareness to this wonderful cause. I live in North Alabama, and while my family was safe, there are so many around us that lost EVERYTHING. Alabama is facing a long period of rebuilding and moving on from this terrible tragedy.

this free bird May 4, 2011 at 3:09 AM  

thanks so much for the heads up on this. katie (fashion's maven) and her family lived through those tornadoes too - and it has been heartbreaking to see the devastation. growing up on the prairies in canada we had a mile long twister strike when i was in my teens. i still haven't forgotten how horrible the aftermath was.

heading over the like and do whatever i can.

xoxo,
carrie

Leah May 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Thanks for sharing this. My heart goes out to all those that were affected by this disaster.

xo L.

Felicia May 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM  

This is so sweet! I will definitely look into the organization!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} May 4, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

Thanks for sharing! I posted on mine too. xo
www.SproutThroughConcrete.com

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird May 4, 2011 at 9:54 AM  

Wow thank you for letting us know about this!

Maddy May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

Thanks for posting about this relief effort. I will be sure to spread the news too!

Diana Mieczan May 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

What a great cause and thank you for posting about it. I will make sure to spread the word too. Have a lovely day, my dear
Kisses

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails