Austin vintage

One thing I really enjoyed about Austin is the abundance of awesome little shops that are all over the city.  On our last day in Austin (a chilly one at that) the boys played at this place called The Parlor (we had pizza for all but 2 meals, I kid you not. And I could eat it day after day w/o complaints).  Anywho, down the street and next door and across the street, everywhere, there were vintage stores galore! 


I went into this store, Blue Velvet, and was smitten with so many things as soon as I walked in the door.  Unfortunately, the price tags weren't really where I wanted them to be, but it was still fun to shop in nonetheless.  My friend Jonny & I tried on shades, hats, etc.  Our friend Jake ended up buying a sweet shirt but alas, it was too small.  So I scored!


Hog Wild was next door to the Parlor, so I had a chance to peruse this one as well.  Our friend Bill scored some knick-knacks from here.  Tons of furniture, clothes (I found an awesome motorcycle jacket but it was the real thing, and bad ass, and they knew it) and housewares.  The people were nice and the store was really cool.  If you're in the area you probably know exactly what I'm talking about.  It's definitely worth a visit.

I know there are tons of vintage stores around Chicago, and I love going to them.  But there's just something about stumbling into a store like these in a different city that makes me far more excited!

2 comments:

Stephanie March 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

I love Austin! We have family who live there and on our last trip they took us to Buffalo Exchange. A very cool vintage/used clothing store with great prices! The best part: if you decide not to take a plastic bag they will donate 5 cents to your choice of three local charities. I later came across this store in Phoenix, AZ and I'm sure there are other locations. So fun!

Anonymous,  March 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

I actually think that Chicago's vintage shop selection isn't too great. It's definitely there, but the shops that exist, in my opinion, are overzealous. Prices are far too high (and not that I'm a cheapskate, but good vintage can be found cheaply, as a quick browse through Etsy points out), and I haven't been too impressed with selection. I think that *smaller* big cities are far superior, as you've noted with Austin; Denver and Portland are also very good with this. My favorite Chicago shop is in Pilsen, called Knee Deep: they're exactly what the city needs more of: good, cheap vintage without the prestige.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails