Coyotes in Chicago

I ran across this article this morning on NPR and knew I had to share.  Did you have any idea that 60 wild coyotes were living in Chicago?!

 

In the video above, the coyote is running down State Street (which is where I'm headed in a few minutes to meet up with some old coworkers for lunch and to do some Badger-family Christmas shopping).  For those of you not familiar with State Street, it's downtown Chicago in "the loop" where so much is happening throughout the day.

According to the article, Chicago has over 60 coyotes roaming the streets freely, living in parks in neighborhoods throughout the city limits, eating rats and staying away from humans.  It baffles me that 60 coyotes are living within the city and nobody ever sees them.  It's really amazing actually.  Each of the coyotes have been placed with a collar that helps the county keep track of their whereabouts.  As you can see in the image below, most of them choose to live in green areas, hiding in the parks to refrain from human contact.


These guys are rarely seen, are afraid of dogs (even the tiniest ones) and usually keep well hidden.  But one of the funniest parts of this article is that one time, a coyote stumbled into a Quiznos downtown and climbed up in the refrigerated cooler!


I love his expression here!

When I first started reading I didn't know what to think.  But there is nothing to be afraid of.  These animals are fairly timid and don't pose a threat to the millions of people living in the same area.  It reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer.  Have you read it?  If not, go to the library or bookstore and check it out at once! She fights for the freedom of the coyotes while everyone else sees them as a threat to their livestock or other animals and even to themselves.  Ranchers often poison them or shoot them for that reason, even though they have no interest in killing the animals like they think.  

What do you think about this?  I'm pretty in love with the idea.  

* All images via NPR

10 comments:

Noodles and Waffles December 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

I like that they're in Chicago. Something has to keep the bunny population in check. Plus, they were here first.

Do you remember the one that ended up in the Quisno's on Michigan Avenue?

ag. December 8, 2010 at 11:42 AM  

I had no idea! I guess you don't really think they'd be roaming the streets of such a busy place!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts December 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

We have them where we live and I think they are harmless- they run away from the monkeys not towards them!
I guess unless you are Jessica Simpson's former dog...

A Crimson Kiss December 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

I was so delighted when I saw this-who would have guessed?! It's nearly mating season and they're running around San Francisco parks these days, too!

Amber December 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

I have never read Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer but I did read The Poison Wood Bible and absolutely loved it, will have to check this book out

Diana Mieczan December 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

That is so interesting...I had no idea about it! Its so strange that you cant really see them much.
Kisses

Ps: I am hosting a stunning leather clutch GIVEAWAY today, just in time for Holiday Parties!

shellie December 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Its very common in california to see local news stories about coyotes running through the streets...and i say RUN COYOTE RUN!!! poor coyotes...i hope they get to stay...they are totally harmless...a little soft body on 4 sticks...the picture abouve is super cute!

abigail December 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

um what?!?!
I think I'm coyote phobic b/c when I lived in Colorado I had a friend who lost her cat to coyotes. But it is kind of amazing isn't it? How animals can adapt?

Heather Feemster December 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

That's crazy! His (or her) expression is priceless. When I saw a top designer had a "coyote" coat I almost lost it, it should be illegal!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails