Elevators are Scary

Friends, I had a traumatic experience yesterday afternoon on my way to lunch.  You see, I work downtown in a super secure building on the 9th floor.  I take an elevator up and down several times a day.  Sure there has been the occasional rickety ride, but never before have I been as terrified as I was yesterday afternoon.


OK so it wasn't quite as dramatic as this picture leads one to believe, but it was SCARY.  The elevator wasn't coming to squish me or cut off my hands, etc.  But I really thought it was the end.  We stopped on the 8th floor and my elevator companion got off (seriously, why do people take the elevator down a floor if their knees are fully functional?) leaving me all alone.  Normally not a problem, but this time I would have done a lot of things to have had another person in there with me.  All of a sudden, I was on a roller coaster going what felt like 90 mph towards the 1st floor.  My life flashed before my eyes.  I almost fell over.  I had that feeling you get when you drop a great distance at a fast pace.  The elevator dropped 2 freaking floors!  And then out of nowhere it came to a screeching halt.  Such a screeching halt that I could have had whip lash.  The emergency brakes kicked in on the 6th floor and as soon as the door opened I BAILED.  My heart was racing!  I hopped on another elevator to my surprise, I really should have taken the stairs down.  I made it out, alive, thankfully.  So I immediately told a security guard what happened who sent someone to fix it.  He later called to thank me for letting them know (but I didn't get an apology for the frightening event that ruined my day). 

So because I came out alive, I went to H&M and exchanged a cheap skirt I didn't like for a cheap summer dress to "reward myself" for going through that.  I take any excuse I can to buy myself frivolous things....

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

ohmygod, this literally is my worst nightmare. I don't go on elevators for more than 3 floors for this very reason. My boyfriend has been begging me to get drinks at the Hancock Tower bar, but there's no way. Ever.
Thank god you are ok!

hip hip gin gin May 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

Oh my word. That is horrifying, I'm sorry.
I used to work at a place with the worlds most unreliable, scary elevator and I had to use it to go to the worlds most scary basement with merchandise boxes. After a couple of rides I decided never again so I would put the boxes in there by themselves, press the button, use the stairs and meet the boxes down there. And every time I'm in an elevator by myself I think "please don't get stuck, please don't get stuck", scary stuff always happens when you are alone doesn't it? It's never like in "You've Got Mail" when they all just sit around on the floor and chat until the firemen come. Oy. Glad you are okay!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails