Knit Wit

So yesterday morning, I took my very first knitting class at Sister Arts Studio in Lincoln Park.  I had so much fun!  Over the last month and a half, I've taught myself the knitting basics by watching videos recommended to me and "Teen Cafe" on YouTube - pretty helpful once I got past the whole cast-on debacle.  So since I wasn't sure if I was doing everything right and I had no clue how to read patterns, I opted for the personal project class to get some one-on-one time with an expert.  Not only do I knit correctly (patting my back here) but I was praised for the progress of my project which I thought was entirely way too difficult for me to even think of starting at this point.  When I decided to knit, I was inspired by this blanket pattern by Patons and thought that "easy" meant easy for someone who has no clue how to knit.  BOY was I wrong!  They make beginners patterns, Meagan.  Remember this.


Ann at the studio helped me decipher the complicated pattern terms, taught me how to slip stitch and then guided me row by row until I could just repeat the pattern over and over again.  I only had one color of yarn so it didn't have the same effect but I learned new things, made good progress, was applauded by the other knitters and gained a whole lot of confidence along the way.  That's the thing about me and my mom's side of the family.  If you tell us we can't do something, we're that much more determined to do it just to prove you wrong.  Even though nobody told me I couldn't do it, I wasn't exactly too sure of my abilities so I pushed myself harder.  It may take me all winter and spring but I'm going to complete this afghan whether my fingers fall off or not!

So not only was I completely inspired to continue knitting yesterday but thanks to Stephanie from Bird on a Wire, I found an incredible Christmas craft to make that was easy and completely my kind of style.  So I immediately ran to Joanns, returned some other yarn I had bought and exchanged it for some StitchNation yarn in colors I like and I'm going to dive in to making some other stuff while I work on the blanket (thick yarn, thick needles = quick project, right?!).  I also bought pinecones and after I go get this cavity filled in an hour and a half (yikes!) I'm going to get to working on the garland ::


I don't even have a fireplace!  Hah!  

And maybe I'll do some knitting so that I can get good enough to make something like these for a special lil' baby due in February ::


or these ::


Happy Thursday!

14 comments:

Tiffany from HOLIDAY November 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

there is something about the holidays that make you get all crafty, right?! last night i had my family over for lasagna & to get to work on those headdresses i wrote about for thanksgiving. we had a blast. anyway, love that pinecone garland! i love simple decorations. good luck on all the knitting. oh, and the cavity - ick.

Unknown November 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

the booties r TOO cute - my neighbor use to knit me lil booties as a kid ALL the time!

Jaime @ laviejaime November 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

I love the pine cone garland!! I am bookmarking that craft:)

Tiffany Kadani November 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Oh man! This makes me want to make every craft there is! I love the holidays for this reason.

A Crimson Kiss November 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Pinecone GARLAND?!? AMAZING!

As for knitting, I gave it a college try more than once, but it turns out I'm terribly impatient!

Erin November 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

How exciting! Can't wait to see more of your projects.

stephanie November 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

Awesome job! Can't wait to see your blanket when it's all done.

Amber November 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

i love the pine cone project, i am trying to do a more natural decor this year for X-mas and this would totally work

Crazy Sweet Life (Brianna) November 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Good for you! I really want to learn, but keep hesitating....maybe a class is what I need too!

Runnmomma November 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

I love love knit booties for babies! Nothing is as cute. Thanks for visiting my site!

Thanks,
Iris
roseumbrella.blogspot.com

The Franglaise November 19, 2010 at 7:16 AM  

I love teh pinecone garland! So Christmassy!

milk tea + polkadots November 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

You're in Lincoln Park...Chicago? I live in Chicago too!

I remember that lovely pine cone garland from Twig & Thistle. So easy and pretty!

Those tiny, knit booties are absolutely adorable!!

Kirby Margaret November 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

myself and some friends who are having thanksgiving together are going to make the same garland! isn't it great? I have a non-functional fireplace, with no mantel that I want to try to hang it above.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails