Coal Miner's Daughter


Today, I listened to this NPR Fresh Air interview with country legend, Loretta Lynn.  It's left me full of emotions.  Not only is she one of my all-time favorites but listening to her voice has left me missing my grandma like never before.  Hearing her say Warshington and git-tar makes me long for conversation with my grandma - her southern draw always cracked me up and hearing Loretta talk that way left me in stitches.  

The interview is fantastic; learning about how she got started, what influenced her and how much her husband contributed to her career left me inspired.  I long to sing and I love country music and now all I want to do is queue up her music, blast it at full volume and sing my heart out.  Do you think my neighbors would mind?!  

What a humble woman.  I loved hearing what the songs were about, her take on pregnancy and having so many kids (and losing a few along the way), being married at 13 and hearing her say, "I'm not famous, I'm just me".  

Check out the tribute album, Coal Miners Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, which was released on Tuesday, and be sure to listen to the interview.  I love her so much!

The song below is one of my all-time favorites and it holds a special place in my heart.  My husband and I goofily covered it awhile ago and had a lot of fun in the process.  After this interview and hearing the tribute album, I think I'll suggest to him that we cover more!  


4 comments:

Melanie's Randomness November 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

The Coal Miner's Daughter is actually one of my favorite movies. I find Loretta Lynn's story so touching & motivating & just awesome. She is a very awesome lady!! That's so cool you got to listen to her on the radio!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

Tiffany from HOLIDAY November 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

I love Fresh Air interviews. Just the other night we were listening to one in the car and we pulled into the driveway and didn't want to get out until it was finished.

Hermione November 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

Oh I love her! And the movie is so good, and such great performances... One cool lady.

Amber November 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

she reminds me of my mama who absolutely adores miss lynn (as do I), I loved the white stripes version of rated X on the disc, amazing

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails