Sad plant, need help

My jade plant, the pride and joy of my plant collection for the last 5 years, is looking very sad and near death.  I need help.  I don't know what to do!

Last week, I noticed it was looking a little down in the dumps, so I decided it was time to repot it and try to make it feel better.  I used potting soil because that's all we currently have.  It's worked for me in the past but the last time I repotted this particular guy, I used half potting soil and half cactus soil to give it the combo it longed for.  It's done so well for so long and it's the grandchild of a pretty old plant.  So I can't bear to let it die!

Here's my dilemma.  The soil I used was already sort of damp because it had been on our back porch for awhile.  I thought it would dry up though.  It hasn't.  Today was the first day I went to check on it since I repotted it around this time last week.  The soil is still very wet.  When I removed it from the pot, several of the branches just fell off.  Another one had fallen off on its own and I already repotted the others.  Their soil has dried up though.   I just don't get it!  I fear that if I go to re-repot, that the big branches will rip off and I'll be left with nothing.  Any ideas? Suggestions? Anything?

I feel so attached to the little guy.

In other plant-related news, the jade that has become my husband's pride and joy is thriving.

6 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts November 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

oh no- maybe it's the change of season- our jade is not looking so hot lately either- I have found that it can take up to three weeks for a plant to recover from a re-potting-

shellie November 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

well if you can maybe repot with the same soil mix BUT DO NOT WATER...if all the stems fall of just leave it in there it may not actually die...if the stems that fell off look okay stick them in the new soil too...it probably got to wet the death of many succulents....my husband waters his nursery plants in the winter time maybe once a month and we live in california

Captain's Granddaugher November 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

when my jades get sad, i just let thme be. most of the time, it's too much water, but sometimes it's too much sun. they don't like too much of either. when they get sad, they dwindle down to almost nothing, sometimes the big branches fall, sometimes all the leaves go. i fidn that leaving them alone for a while, not water, not fussing over them, they tend to come back on their own. i put the fallen leaves right back into the pot and they sprout on their own. good luck!!

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS November 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

It's amazing how attached we get to plants, huh? I feel the same way about my herbs. They're all dead now except for rosemary and basil :( xo

a tree called life November 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

oh no!
my only guess is too much water...
i just repotted my jade and brought it inside, the sun was burning the leaves, but it looks like it's doing ok... so far.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails