My first knitting project!




Well, I did it!  I have officially knit a project from start to finish.  Hooray!

I picked up this bulky yarn a few weeks ago and decided that for my mom's birthday, I really wanted to make her something.  I knew it would be special to her because I've never made her anything in my grown up years because I've never really been the crafty type.  My last sewing project (in home-ec) was a disaster and both her and my grandma (both experts with the sewing machine) made a great deal of fun over it.  So not only would it mean a lot to her but it did to me too.  I didn't have a pattern in mind so I just started knitting.  I kept knitting until I ran out of yarn (3 skeins, it was all they had in that color) and it was still a little bit too short so I turned it into an eternity scarf!  I had no clue how to do it so I just took my needle and wove some strands through, tied a knot and called it done.  It turned out pretty great and she loved it.  It's rather bulky so she'll have to reserve it for those bitterly cold days.  I told her it would be great for when she comes to visit us this winter, hint hint.

Now it's time to attempt to make patterns, wish me luck!


20 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts November 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Good job lady! Love the photo effects- so good luck with the pattern- I kNOW you can do it!

Noodles and Waffles November 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

Looks great!

I made something similar for myself and mother-in-law last year. I saw one in a store and it was over $100 and I thought...this is ridiculous...I can make this for much much less.

Can't wait to see your next project.

Erin November 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

It looks awesome! Very impressive!

hip hip gin gin November 29, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

It looks fabulous, yay for finishing!! I'm glad you are excited about knitting, I find it so relaxing especially during the busy holidays. Although they say you should be knitting winter projects during the summer (so you can use them in the winter) I just can't get into knitting unless it is cold outside. A day spent knitting by the fire with Christmas music in the background is a day well spent!

Jaime @ laviejaime November 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Bravo! I would love to learn how to knit... I bet it's very good to reduce stress lol

Amber November 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

well done! Learning to knit has been on my list if things to do for awhile now, this pretty scarf my just be the kick in the butt I need to actually learn

nora chou November 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

i've always wanted to pick up knitting...but never got round to it! that's an awesome first-go!

nora

www.norachou.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/norachou

Natalie November 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I love this! It looks so good...I've been meaning to get a scarf like that!

Nicki November 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

Aww, that's so sweet of you to make your mom something! It looks like a mighty warm scarf. I'm sure she'll feel extra warm wearing it on a cold day, knowing that you made it for her!

Victoria November 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Pretty, so pretty. I love this scarf, what a perfect homemade gift it would be.

A Crimson Kiss November 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

You're amazing! I am such a goof when it comes to knitting, so I'm extra impressed with your skill and cleverness!

Emily's Moose - Karolina Kubikowska November 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

Congratulations on finishing your first knitting! LAst year when I started I was so very proud of a simple scarf, I could dance around all day.

<3
K

Melanie's Randomness November 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Ohhh look at this!! Awesome!! I've tried knitting but I keep getting the kneedle & the yarn all knotted. Ooo good luck with the patterns. =)

Melanie's Randomness

The Everything List December 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

i have been wanting to make an infinity scarf! i ahve talked about it a few times on the blog. Thanks for the help on how to actually attathc the ends.

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Melissa (Avid Reader) December 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Great job! I just learned how to knit last month and I'm still working no my first scarf. It's a fun hobby to take up.

Oh, My Darling December 7, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Your first knitting project looks fantastic!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails