The Special E


Since I've been planning this wedding of ours, I've felt a little sick inside of how wasteful a lot of things are that go into this day.  I mean, the flowers cost so much, and so much work is put into them for one day of glory.  The caterers are preparing extra meals in case we don't have enough, which is a nice backup, but what happens to the food that isn't gobbled up?!  Earlier, I was sifting through my wedding email account, going through emails I"ve bookmarked for the ceremony, music, etc., and I stumbled across an email from brides.com about The Special E

So here's how it works:

  • Contact The Special E, letting them know the details of your event (weddings, trade shows, parties, etc).  They will then return with an estimate of their rescue fee.
  • The details are then worked out behind-the-scenes (they contact the caterer or whomever is appropriate, so you don't have to deal with all that stuff)
  • Next, they identify the organizations to donate to.  So your pretty flowers could be heading towards a nursing home to brighten up some days, or the food could be going as leftovers to a shelter.  Pretty cool.
  • Their "rescue squad" arrives at the designated time to whisk away all the goods that your kind heart is giving to someone in need.  They even donate the bridesmaid dresses (if you wish to part ways)
And voila!

Another added bonus: for events such as weddings, expenses like flowers and dresses can be treated as charitable deductions on your tax returns!

5 comments:

hip hip gin gin June 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

This is the best thing ever!!! I wish we would have known about this back when we got married. It would have made me feel much better to think that the flowers were brightening someone's day and the food was not going to waste. That is really wonderful!

Stephanie June 10, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

What a great idea! We had potted herb centerpieces that were intended to be given away to guests that wanted them. While some of them were taken by family and friends, others were left. What a wonderful comfort knowing that your flowers and food can go to make someone's day. I just love it!

Anonymous,  June 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

This is seriously a great idea. Wow, I'm saving this in my favorites, hopefully I'll be able to use them one day!

Quindome June 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

People are so smart! It's cool that you were thinking of this and there was, poof, a service for it. Kudos to you AND them!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails