Starved Rock!









We had an awesome time at Starved Rock.  If you live in the area, I highly encourage you to make the 2-hour trek down there.  It was so nice to be outside, surrounded by nature.  Isn't it amazing that a place like this exists in the middle of Illinois?  We hiked for hours, had a lovely picnic with roasted red pepper, brie, date chutney and green apple sandwiches and really enjoyed spending time together.  It smelled wonderful and we both left feeling completely content with everything.  Aaaaaaah. 

* But now we're back in the city and I'm listening to an obnoxious jackhammer that never stops and I'm desperate to go back to the sereneness of Starved Rock. 

11 comments:

Noodles and Waffles June 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

Did you guys get to Matthiessen State Park? It's right down the road (<5 miles) from Starved Rock and I think it's a much prettier area. There are normally fewer people and the springs/canyons/falls are beautiful.

Stephanie June 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

So glad your hike was fun. Beautiful pictures, by the way!

World Elephant June 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

oh, super cool, i'm jealous. those gorges look awesome.

Unknown June 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

We didn't make it to Matthiessen but I'll put that on my next to-do. We had so much fun that we wanna go back over and over!

Madame Lamb June 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

so crazy my friend maggie and i were supposed to go to starved rock on saturday but it was SO hot. which trail did you take? we want to do a long hike/picnic, too!

Nicki June 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Wow, that must've been such an awesome hike!

this free bird June 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Just saw your comment and was about to log out...so great to see you!!

Hey - you should totally put Laguna on the list of placed you'd like to visit (best during the week to avoid crowds, but it is always enjoyable and super laid back)

I love these place you visited in your picture! The falls look AMAZING!

Michelle Kendrick Hartney June 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

Oh I love Starved Rock! I haven't been there since high school!! (I know what you mean about the city sounds and craving some peace!)

Anonymous,  June 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

hahaha! I brought brie and bread for a picnic while there, but we never ended up eating it and it got smooshed in my bag. So sad!

and flowers pick themselves June 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

gorgeous! i love that last photo.

xo Alison

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS June 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

How fun! Looks incredible. And that sandwich...?? I'm now drooling ;) xo

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails