Carmelized Onion Quesadilla with Apple Chutney

Oh, Bobby Flay.  You totally made my night by providing us with this recipe.  Yesterday, the mister was feeling under the weather and came home from work to nap.  So I decided to do good and make him dinner instead of the other way around. 

We are doing so good at going through these apples but we still have about 18 left to go!  So I perused the food network website and voila, it was time to make apple chutney. 


Apples, red onions, garlic, ginger and a poblano pepper made for a fantastic smelling combo.


 Half of the apples simmered in apple cider vinegar and apple cider for awhile until they were soft.  Then I added in the other half of the apples and transferred to a bowl to soak and let the flavors merge.

While said flavors were "merging" I carmelized some onions, added balsamic vinegar at the end and then we shredded some farmer's cheese (seriously, who has Camembert just hanging out in the fridge?).  We added some seitan for additional flavor and texture and then patiently waited for it to cook.

 Finally, we were ready to eat.  It was as delicious as it smelled and I definitely recommend giving it a try if it sounds good.  I love using sweet and savory together and this was a great combination. 

We popped in a scary movie and snarfed down the food.  All in all, an excellent October night :)

5 comments:

Anna Walker October 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing! You're a great cook!

Unknown October 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

Aw thanks! I'm no match for my husband and I don't like cooking NEARLY as much as I do baking but when it involves a challenge, like finishing these apples before they go to waste, I am always up for it.

this free bird October 14, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

This looks great!! I wouldn't think to put the apple chutney with the quesadilla, but boy does it sound tasty!

xoxo,
Carrie

Cara Kuhl October 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

yum yum YUM! I love the combination of apples + cheese, I have it as a snack on many a fall day. This just kicks it up a notch to a whole other level ~ brilliant!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails