Mac & Cheese

{image courtesy of Pioneer Woman}

Oh Pioneer Woman, you just might have the best recipe for (adult) Mac & Cheese ever.  I'm eating leftovers of it right now and it's divine.  It's not the healthiest but what kind of "healthy" mac & cheese is good??

Last night, we were totally in the mood for some comfort food.  We had been soaking some Great Northern Beans for awhile and decided to turn them into vegetarian baked beans.  They were okay.  The flavor was great but the beans weren't the right kind of beans for baked beans.  Oh well, you win some you lose some.  At least the flavor was good, right?

I got all kinds of excited about making baked macaroni.  Usually I opt for the creamy, runny stovetop kind a la grandma Dixon, but the baked kind just sounded like the right kind.

So naturally, I drifted towards the Pioneer Woman's recipe (a public shout out to Hadley who has cooked many a recipe of hers for yours truly, thus introducing me to the wonders of cream in nearly every recipe).  Her recipe called for bacon and since I don't eat meat, that called for a substitution.  The mister suggested sun-dried tomatoes and what a perfect compliment that was to the cheese.  We used farmer's cheese, muenster, cheddar and the leftovers of a bag of Italian 4-cheese.  It was perfect. I just thought you should know.

Lastly, I totally burned the s*** out of my fingerpads while making the m&c.  I cried.  It hurt, bad.  But I took the mister's advice and put ice cubes on it for about 20 minutes.  Once I numbed it, I had no pain, no blisters, no nothing.  Magical!

9 comments:

hip hip gin gin October 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

Yum!! I think I'll try both versions, they both sound delicious for different moods.
And sorry about your poor fingers! I constantly burn myself while cooking/baking so I always have arnica gel and calendula gel in the house, fantastic for soothing burns if the cold water/ice alone don't do the trick.

stephiejane October 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

sorry that you burnt your fingerpads, but please excuse me while i drool on my keyboard...that looks so delicious!!

AmyK October 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I'm normally all for bacon, but the sundried tomatoes sounds amazing in macaroni and cheese. Especially pioneer woman macaroni and cheese.

Unknown October 21, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

It really was the perfect substitute. I can't take any credit for it though, I never would have thought to use them but he sure is smart like that! He makes the best gravy using sun-dried tomatoes instead of sausage. Man, I'm so hungry for more!

this free bird October 21, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

bring it on!! (without the burnt fingers though - ouch!)

we totally had jalapeno bacon mac and cheese last night and i posted today...yippeee!! all kinds of versions = meals for a week. hahaha!!

xoxo,
carrie

the chirpy bird October 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM  

Oh my! You know the way to my heart don't you?! Rainy, sick days always call for some mac and cheese! Thanks so much for stopping by the other day! All the well wishes certainly sped up that pesky flu ridden down time! Hope you're having a fabulous week! p.s. glad you avoided those blisters, nothing worse!
xo tash

Bridget October 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

i have yet to make one of her recipes but i need to!

Louise October 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

yuuum this looks so good! xx

ray gun October 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

you inspired me to cook a PW recipe...... leeks with pancetta and bow tie pasta. 1) delish 2) cheap 3) quick. so awesome.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, it brightens my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails